Starting a cake business from home is an awesome idea, but as with all businesses one of the most significant keys to succeeding in this business is, none other than, marketing. There are some powerful tools you can use out there for relatively low cost out of pocket. Over the next few minutes, I am going to reveal these things to you in hopes that they will help you succeed in your cake business.
1. Never, ever underestimate good ole fashioned word of mouth advertising. It is without a doubt the most powerful marketing tools that you can use. Inform everyone that you know about your cake business and invite them to refer their friends and family to you. You can not escape that this is not only powerful but free! Remember, one happy customer can product 3, 5, 7, 15 or maybe even 20 more customers, you never know!
2. Be distinct when selling your cake business. Every company that is successful has developed a recognizable or memorable slogan or proposition. What sets you apart from others that are starting a cake business from home? For example, you deliver your finished product for free or something along those lines! Hopefully you can define unique features of your cake business to promote to your prospective customers.
3. Have you considered Press Releases, PR's? Press Releases are simple little articles that you can write when something new or important is going on with your business. You can submit them to free PR sites on the Internet or send them to local press agencies in your area. Make them interesting and full of valuable information about the upcoming event.
4. Use others in your area to promote your business or product for you. For example, realtors usually give their clients presents when after a closing. That present could be your cakes. Offer them to realtors with a special, maybe buy one get one free. Then include all of your cake business' info on the box so their clients will know where the product originated from.
5. Be a sponsor in your community. You can sponsor any type of local event such as baseball teams, religious activities, fund raisers, grand openings or booths in festivals. Here you can offer your product samples for free to gain amazing exposure. Keep brochures or business cards on hand to pass out. You can be even more creative and use magnets or things of that nature.
6. Advertise in local papers and shoppers. Start out with smaller papers if your budget is smaller but start somewhere. Get your name and your product out there for people to become aware of. They can not find you if they do not know you are there!
7. Ah, the Internet! The Internet has transformed thousands if not millions of businesses into a success. Create a website that is user-friendly and good-looking. You can hire someone to do this. Think of hiring a college student whose rates will be much cheaper. IF you already know how to do this yourself then you are one step ahead of the game. Later you can use this site to take orders as well.
8. Networking is where it's at! Your main goal is to get on the vendor's list of ever wedding planner, event planner and party planner there is in your surrounding area. Contact these people, offer discounted rates for first time use. Send coupons, business cards and / or samples. Let them know you are skilled, ready and willing to serve their customers.
9. Are there distributors in the area that may be willing to display your cakes? Let them know you are starting a cake business from home and you want to get the word and your work out there. Other small businesses may be sympathetic to your sight and want to help. Of course, they also may want a small commission but that is ok. Any help is good help!
These are just a few, inexpensive ways to get out there and get noticed. Try to implement these into your new cake business and if your product is good, then you are sure to be a success!